Thursday, July 28, 2011

Green Tomatoes

It's nice to go to the garden an to be able to use unripened fruit. You get excited about eating from your plants that have been growing for months. A green tomato from the garden is a special treat you get during a season of the year and should not be overlooked for its ripe self. I have used them in two ways I'd like to share: Fried Green Tomatoes and Dilled Green Tomatoes.

Dilled Green Tomatoes




I got this from the Ball Blue Book- Guide to Preserving Ball Blue Book-Guide to Preserving. I enjoy canning and making pickles. I am very happy with these. The basics are this: Core and quarter 5 pounds of firm green tomatoes. Put tomatoes into pint jars with one clove of garlic, a head of dill and a bay leaf per jar. While doing that make a brine for the tomatoes with: 1/4 cup salt, 3.5 cups vinegar and 3.5 cups water. Bring brine to a boil and pour hot brine into jars. Remove air bubbles and process for 15 minutes. I use these on salads. They are dilly and garlicky; they melt in your mouth. 


Fried Green Tomatoes




I don't want to sound repetitious, but I cook these the same way I cook the dandelion blossoms and the zucchini: A egg bath, dusting in flour, fry in oil for several minutes per side, salt and eat.





With all three fried dishes, you groove on the fried-ness of them. The tomatoes soften up, but not too much. With salt they are great.

You appreciate food that you have grown more than food that you buy prepared. With myself I know I am a more adventurous eater than I was a couple years ago. I would not have wanted to try either of these a few years ago, now I look forward to making them.

No comments:

Post a Comment