Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Loca-WHAT? Part 2





So it's been a few days. I have had a chance to finish the book and process it.

I think I was questioning my diet because I was being challenged; by who, myself! I need to take greater steps in eating local. There has been a theme to my thinking. It is this: We are losing our culture to convenience and greed.We should know where our unprocessed food comes from and we should be able to take the time to cook good meals for our families.

I have been buying a lot of convenience food lately. It's been good food, but Trader Joe has been doing most of my cooking. I have only been heating it up. That seems like the way things have been for a while. I do cook from scratch, but maybe 3-4 days a week.

Last night I made spaghetti. We had pasta from Cub, I have no idea where that came from. Meat from Trader Joe's, that came from California. Sauce from Cub, no idea where that came from... Is that cooking? I browned the meat, boiled the pasta and added the sauce to the meat. Done!

Did I cook? Is that a expression of our culture? Can you taste Saint Paul in that meal? It's not tomato season yet, unless I buy hothouse tomatoes or had canned tomatoes from last year, I cannot have spaghetti. Is that extreme?

What would be an expression of our culture? Locally grown and milled wheat. Homemade pasta; local beef from a farm I have seen; tomatoes and herbs grown in my yard for our sauce.  With this meal I would have a greater pride in severing it and a deeper appreciation of the food.

Is a diet like this possible?

No comments:

Post a Comment